Business Resources

Business Resources


The City of Grass Valley invites and welcomes new business!

We understand that starting a business can be an exciting and challenging time.

Please feel free to contact the City with any questions or concerns you have as you plan to start your business in Grass Valley: Send Message or Call (530) 274-4300

For questions about an existing business license or home occupation: Send Message or Call (530) 768-2497

A business license is an annual tax for doing business within the City. The City of Grass Valley Business License Ordinance requires a business license for any business activity conducted in Grass Valley city limits. Business license taxes and fees help pay for City services such as roads, fire, police, and other community services. Business licenses are renewed annually at the beginning of each year.

Apply for a Business License Online

Make a Payment

Renew a Business License


Commercial Cannabis Businesses

Commercial Cannabis Appeal Procedures

The Selection Committee completed their review of the 13 Commercial Cannabis Business (CCB) Screening Applications the City received.

The following Commercial Cannabis Business screening applications were the highest scored among all of the applications received and therefore are eligible to submit a CCB Permit Application :

  • Storefront Retail Dispensary – Grass Valley Provisions 
  • Delivery Only Dispensary – KannaXpress
  • Distribution - Grass Valley Brand & Sierra Flower Co.
  • Nursery - Grass Valley Brand & Xotic Nursery, Inc.

Cottage Food Business

A Cottage Food Operation (CFO) is an enterprise at a private home where specific low-risk food products, which do not require refrigeration, are prepared or repackaged for sale.


Day Care Facility

The City defines Day Care as facilities that provide non-medical care and supervision of minor children for periods of less than 24 hours. These facilities include the following, all of which are required to be licensed by the California State Department of Social Services.


Home Occupation

The conduct of a business within a dwelling unit or residential site, employing only the occupants of the dwelling, with the business activity being subordinate to the residential use of the property. A Standards of Approval form must be submitted to the City for all Home Occupations.


Massage Therapy

All massage therapists and technicians employed with establishments in the City of Grass Valley are required to possess a current and valid CAMTC certification.

Prior to applying for a business license, massage therapists must obtain an Operator's Permit from the Grass Valley Police Department.