Short Term Rentals


The City established the Bed & Breakfast and Short Term Rental standards to provide guidelines for home-based short term rentals in Grass Valley. Any rental less than 30 days is considered a “Short Term Rental.”  

Check the Zoning for a property to learn if bed & breakfasts, short-term, and/or vacation home rentals are an allowed use, or if approval of a Minor Use Permit is required.

All applications, forms, and questions related to Short Term Rentals can be submitted to   

Compliance Agreement & TOT

All short-terms are required to register for Transient Occupancy Tax. Hosted and vacation home rentals (not  Bed & Breakfasts) are required to submit a compliance agreement. 

Short Term Rental Compliance Agreement  
Short Term Rental Application Checklist

Vacation Home Rental Compliance Agreement  
Vacation Home Rental Application Checklist

Transient Occupancy Tax 

Minor Use Permit 

Bed & Breakfasts in certain zones within the City require approval of a Minor Use Permit.

All vacation home rentals in the City require approval of a Minor Use Permit.

Universal Planning Application

Minor Use Permit Application (Vacation Home Rental)

Parking Requirements  

  • Bed & Breakfasts & Short Term Rentals – 1 off-street parking space for each guest room, plus 2 off-street parking spaces for the manager or owner.
  • Vacation Rental Homes (if owner or manager do not occupy the home) – 1 off-street parking space per each guest room.