Police FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


The Grass Valley Police Department offers introductory answers to frequently asked questions regarding traffic issues, forms and services of the Office. Click on a subject heading below to view questions and answers relating to your selection. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further information on our website or from other sources. Should you have any further questions, please consult our Contact page.

My car was towed, how do I get it back?

If your vehicle is towed and given a hold for a 30 day impound, you can request an appointment for an administrative hearing. These are scheduled via phone (477-4600), and are held during the hours of 9:00am-11:00am and 1:00pm-3:00 pm Monday through Friday (excepting holidays.) When you have your meeting, please bring proof of ownership, valid car insurance, and a valid California Drivers License.

How do I register as an offender with the Grass Valley Police Department?

If you are a resident of the City of Grass Valley and have been required to register as a drug or sex offender, you can do so at the Police Department Tuesday&Thursday between the hours of 9am – 11am and 1pm – 3pm. If you are unable to attend during these hours, please contact records to schedule an appointment.

Can I file a report over the internet or by phone?

Currently we do not take criminal reports on the internet. We do, however, handle some types of reports over the phone. If you believe you have been a victim of a crime that occurred in Grass Valley, please call (530)265-7880 and request to speak with an officer regarding your situation.

How do I contest a parking citation?

To contest a parking ticket you must bring the parking ticket down to the police department within 15 days of issuance and complete a contest form, which provides a written statement describing why you believe the ticket was unjust. After the ticket and the contest form have been processed, a supervisor will review the documentation.  You will receive notification either by phone, if it is dismissed, or, in writing, if the ticket is justified. If you wish to contest further you can request an administrative hearing to discuss your ticket in person.

Who do I contact about traffic problems in my area?

Currently the best way to request extra traffic enforcement in your area is to call the Grass Valley Police Department and make a request for extra traffic patrol. Please have the following information ready when you call: name of the street or intersection, approximate times of traffic problems, nature of the problem. The traffic enforcement department will then determine the best way to handle the complaints.

How can I get a “fix-it” ticket signed off?

To have a fix-it ticket signed off, bring your copy of the ticket down to the police department at any time to have an officer sign it. Typically, fix-it tickets must be signed off within 30 days. If you do not meet the 30-day deadline, the ticket becomes “non-fixable” and is forwarded to the courts. If you have a ticket issued by another agency, a Grass Valley Officer can sign off on it, however, usually you must return it to the issuing agency within the 30-day time frame.

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

To report an abandoned vehicle, call (530)265-7880. Please provide the location, license plate, make, color of the vehicle, and how long the vehicle has been there. Vehicles that are reported as abandoned are forwarded to the Grass Valley Police Volunteers who issue a 72-hour courtesy warning. After the 72 hours have passed and the vehicle has not been moved it is then eligible to be towed. If the vehicle is on private property you will be directed to a Traffic Enforcement Officer who will advise you of the Abatement Process.

How do I file for a restraining order?

In order for the police to issue a restraining order you must be a victim of a recent violent incident or abuse. If you believe you have been a victim please call the Grass Valley Police Department as soon as possible. The Emergency Protective Order that can be issued by the police is only in effect for 7 days. If you believe you need protection for more than 7 days, you must contact the Nevada County Superior Court at 201 Church St. in Nevada City. The Restraining Order Division is located on the first floor in Suite 5. For further information, please see the Nevada County Superior Court Website.

Where can I find a copy of our local Municipal Codes?

Municipal Codes are linked from the City of Grass Valley Website and can be accessed by clicking here.

Does GVPD offer LiveScan Fingerprinting?

The Grass Valley Police Department does not currently offer LiveScan fingerprinting. Locally, LiveScan is performed by the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department. For further information or to set up an appointment please call (530) 265-1471 Monday-Friday between 8am and 5pm.

How do I get legal papers served?

In Nevada County, the Civil Division of the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department serves all legal papers. For further information please call (530) 265-1220 Monday-Friday between 8am and 5pm.