Police Department Permits



Solicitor’s Permit Application

Every solicitor applicant must complete a solicitor permit application, must read the City ordinance governing soliciting, and must sign a form stating that they have read and understand the ordinance


Massage Operator’s Permit

The Massage Operator’s Permit is for individuals practicing massage within the City limits of Grass Valley and must be approved by the police department prior to applying for a City business license. Once the Massage Operator's Permit is completed you can bring it into the GVPD lobby (129 S Auburn St)  for review. This is an annual application that goes through the approval of Captain Johnson before issuing the permit.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call at (530) 477-4600.

Learn more about Massage Therapy Standards. 


Alcohol Permit

Permit:  Alcohol Permit
Cost:  $5.00
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am-4pm

These applications are needed to sell alcohol at a function inside the city limits. The applications are included in packets that can be obtained through the alcohol beverage control (ABC) in Yuba City (530) 751-8570. Most functions that require an Alcohol Permit also require a Special Event Form.

 Form: Visit the California Department of Alcohol Beverage Control for an application.


Conceal & Carry Weapons Permit

Permit:  Conceal and Carry Weapons Permit (CCW)  
Hours: By Appointment Only at NCSO

Conceal and Carry Weapons Permits are issued by the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office at 950 Maidu Avenue Nevada City, CA 95959. Or call to schedule an appointment at (530) 265-1471.


Parking Permits

Form:  Parking Permit
Cost:  $45.00
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am-4pm
Description: Parking Permits go on sale the last Monday of the month prior to the effective quarter. Quarters begin in January, April, July and October. Parking permits are available to employees of businesses located in downtown Grass Valley. For a list of permit lots, please visit our traffic information page.

Please visit the Grass Valley Police Department (129 S Auburn St) for a permit.


Special Events Permit

Permit:  Special Events Permit
Cost:  $40.00
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm 

In order to hold an event in a public place within the Grass Valley City limits it is necessary to submit a Special Event Permit Application. Along with the completed application, applicants may need to provide proof of insurance including the City of Grass Valley as an additional insured, proof of Security Personnel, and approval from the Fire Chief. For complete details, please refer to the appropriate sections in the application. A permit cannot be submitted for approval without all required documents.

Special Events in which Alcohol is being provided/sold also require permission from the California Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control. The application for this permit can be downloaded from the ABC Website. For further questions regarding ABC permits contact their office directly at (530) 751-8570.

The Special Events application (and ABC forms if applicable) must be turned into the Grass Valley Police Department in person. If your application is approved we will phone you regarding the pick up of your application. Approved applications must be picked up in person, we do not mail back approved forms. The applicant must keep the approved Special Event Application for display at the event.

FormSpecial Event Application