On October 8, 2017, the Governor signed AB 1236, which modified the Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Open Access Act. AB 1236 requires each city and county with a population of less than 200,000 residents to adopt an ordinance that creates an expedited electric vehicle charging station permitting process by September 30, 2017. The new law, codified in Government Code 65850.7, requires cities and counties to substantially conform their expedited, streamlined permitting process to recommendations contained in the current version of the Zero-Emission Vehicles in California: Community Readiness Guidebook. Specifically, AB 1236 requires local jurisdictions to:
- Adopt checklists for all requirements for a system to be eligible for expedited review;
- Approve an application that meets all of the prescribed requirements;
- Allow the use of electronic signatures on relevant permitting documents;
- Allow for electronic submittal of the expedited permit documents;
- Complete an expedited review with noticing requirements to the applicant if their submittal is incomplete.
Electronic submittals for electric vehicle charging station permits may be forwarded to the following e-mail addresses:
Payment for electronic submittals may be made by credit card or check at the Community Development Department