1. Minimum requirements for Career Firefighter are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age. - Completion of 12th grade or GED equivalent. - Two Years Firefighting experience desirable. - State Firefighter 1 Certificate. - EMT 1 Certificate. - Must possess a current California Class C license. - Haz Mat FRO Certificate. - Basic Wildland Certificate. - Any other certificates required by the Fire Chief. - Must complete Employment Application for the City of Grass Valley (please see link below).
2. Minimum requirements for a Paid Call Firefighter (PCF) are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age. - Must possess a current California Class C Drivers License. - Must complete Employment Application for the City of Grass Valley (please see link below). - Completion of Nevada County Recruit Academy or Approved Firefighter 1 Academy. - SIDS/Blood and Airborne Pathogens Training. - CPR Certificate and Basic First Aid. - Equipment familiarization and Check Off Procedures. - Meet department training requirements.
3. Requirements for Explorer position are currently under development.
4. Minimum requirements for Associate Member of the Grass Valley Firefighters' Association are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age. - Other qualifications as Board may deem necessary.
The Board may allow an individual to apply for associate membership. Those individuals must be at least 18 years of age and possess other qualifications as the Board or Association may prescribe. Associate member applicants are those individuals who want to assist the Board and Association and GVFD in their responsibilities and functions, but are not required to participate or meet the requirements of an active firefighter.
The applicant must request associate membership status directly to the Association, who in turn makes a recommendation to the Board. The Board, at a regular scheduled meeting, may grant Association member status. An associate member has no voting privileges and can be expelled from the Association for any conduct deemed unacceptable or brings discredit to the GVFD.
If interested in pursuing a position within the Fire Department or Association, please print out an application by going to the link below, complete and forward to Grass Valley City Fire Department, 125 E. Main Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945 (via U.S. Postal Service).
Please go to the Human Resources Section of this website to printout an Employment Application.