Recycling Opportunities for Grass Valley Residents
Waste Management provides residential Recycling and Green Waste solutions at the curbside for City of Grass Valley residents for a monthly fee. For more information, or to sign up, please contact Waste Management at (530) 274-3090.
|Flattened cardboard: boxes, brown bags, packing paper||Incandescent or florescent bulbs|
|Newspapers and magazines||Pizza boxes (used)|
|Mixed paper: books, phone books, cards, junk mail||Flower pots|
|Office paper (do not shred)||Plastic bags|
|Plastics (#1 - 7)||Styrofoam|
|Medicine Bottles (remove personal information)||Wax-lined coffee cups|
|Cans: aluminum, tin||Milk, juice, soup cartons|
|Glass||Aluminum foil or foil containers|
|*Hazardous Materials (see below)|
** Place Co-mingles in containers without bags **
* These Hazardous materials can be picked up curb side: Motor Oil and Batteries. Contact Waste Management to have oil container dropped off for oil pick up. Place small batteries in clear baggie and tape to bin.
How to Prepare Recyclables
- Rinse containers of liquids & solids (no need to remove labels)
- Paper towels, cardboard and paper must be dry and free of food debris
- Aerosol cans must be empty of non-toxic contents
- Batteries in clear baggie, taped to bin
- Motor oil in Waste Management oil container
If construction projects exceed 600 sq. ft. or project cost estimates are greater than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00), the McCourtney Road Transfer Station shall be used for all construction and demolition materials where a recycling service is provided.
Residential, Commercial and Industrial Hauling
13083 Grass Valley Avenue
Grass Valley, Ca 95945
Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
For more information visit the Waste Management website.
McCourtney Road Transfer Station, Recycling Center / Hazardous Household Waste Facility and Reuse Room
*Commercial Customer Hours for Household Hazardous Waste Facility:
Wednesday and Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Appointment required.
Please call (530) 274-0120.
The Reuse Room has latex, oil based paints and miscellaneous paint supplies; products for household cleaning, wallpaper, grout, tile, masonry, auto, garden and fertilizers; aerosols. All are available for FREE. Product availability varies.
14741 Wolf Mountain Road
Grass Valley, Ca
Transfer Station, Recycling Center and Reuse Room Hours: Wednesday – Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility Hours: Friday – Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Pesticides/Weed Killer
- Motor Oil and Gasoline
- Household Cleaners
Waste Management is responsible for operations at the McCourtney Road Transfer Station. While former County services remain in place, rates will support regulatory mandates and increased operating costs associated with environmental issues. New regulatory mandates regarding the handling of Green Waste include third party grinding off-site, and regulations surrounding the management of material potentially infested by the European Grape Vine Moth. White Goods (WG) disposal and recycling is available.
Habitat for Humanity Restore
12359 Loma Rica Drive
Tuesday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
What is Restore? ReStore is a home improvement outlet store that sells donated, new, used and surplus goods to the public at greatly reduced prices. Every penny of profit is used to support Habitat for Humanity of Nevada County.
How do I Donate? Schedule a pick-up by calling ReStore's donation line at (530) 274-3761 or e-mail ReStore at email@example.com. You may also drop off your donation at 12359 Loma Rica Drive. Click here for Map & Directions
KNCO830 Radio Swap Shop offers creative recycling! Swap Shop is a free online resource where you can find or discard items. It demonstrates the idea that one person's trash is another's treasure. Simply log onto the Swap Shop website and create a wanted or available listing.
Check these resources for more recycling and reuse:
- Animal Save Thrift Store
- Cancer Aid Thrift Shop
- Hospice of the Foothills Gift and Thrift Store
- Living Well Thrift Store
- Mt. St. Mary's Thrift
- Salvation Army Family Store
Safe Medicine Disposal
The City of Grass Valley has designated these facilities to drop-off unused medicines. Bring any unwanted medication (in original containers) to these locations for safe disposal. (Please, no ointments or liquids.)
- Grass Valley Police Department 129 S. Auburn Street, Grass Valley, CA (24-hour Safe Disposal site for prescription drugs) *Contact the Community Service Officer (530-477-4600, ext 3)
- Kmart Pharmacy 111 W. McKnight Way, Grass Valley, CA 8 am - 10 pm, Monday - Sunday (Prescription drugs, Over-the-counter and Sharps)
- Save Mart Pharmacy 2054 Nevada City Highway, Grass Valley, CA (Prescription drugs only)
- Rite Aid Pharmacy 720 Sutton Way, Grass Valley, CA (Prescription drugs and Sharps)
For years, it was common practice to flush medications (pharmaceuticals) down the drain. Doctors or pharmacists may have directed you to do this. We now know that these substances are detrimental to our environment - the ground, water, and air around us. Trace amounts of some substances may be harmful to aquatic life. Over the last decade, there is growing evidence that pharmaceuticals, when flushed into the wastewater system, tend to persist in highly treated wastewater. Continual, multi-generational exposure of aquatic life to multiple pharmaceuticals is proving to have negative consequences on our environment.
- Prescription pills & capsules
- Over-the-counter pills & capsules
- Medication samples
- Vitamins & Supplements
- Homeopathic remedies
- Pet Medications
- Medication Patches
Items NOT Accepted:
- IV Bags
- Bloody or Infectious Waste
- Personal Care Products
- Aerosol Cans
- Full Inhalers
- Liquid medications, ointments, lotions, creams
Visit the state website at www.nodrugsdownthedrain.org