posted 10-14-2008 01:36 PM
CITY OF GRASS VALLEY
Mark Johnson, Mayor Lisa Swarthout, Vice Mayor
Jan Arbuckle Dan Miller Chauncey Poston
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING (CLOSED SESSION)
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT THE CITY COUNCIL and/or GRASS VALLEY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY WILL HOLD A SPECIAL MEETING AT 5:00 P.M. ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2008, IN THE MAYOR’S CONFERENCE ROOM OF GRASS VALLEY CITY HALL, 125 EAST MAIN STREET, GRASS VALLEY, TO CONSIDER THE MATTER LISTED BELOW. ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC MAY COMMENT ON THIS ITEM BEFORE ITS CONSIDERATION.
I. CLOSED SESSION
Anticipated Litigation - Conference with Legal Counsel regarding anticipated litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b) one anticipated case.
Existing Litigation – Conference with Legal Council pursuant to Government Code section 54956.9(a) two existing cases.
1. Newmont Mine – City of Grass Valley v. Newmont Mining Corp., et al USDC Eastern District Case No. CIV.S-04-0149 GEB DAD
2. City of Grass Valley v. Doris Mitchell, as Executrix of the Estate of Edna T. Ruck, deceased; and 1-40 DOES inclusive
IV. CLOSED SESSION
Public employee performance Evaluation, (City Attorney) pursuant to Government Code Section 54957
V. CLOSED SESSION
Public employee performance Evaluation, (City Administrator) pursuant to Government Code Section 54957
REGULAR MEETING OF THE GRASS VALLEY CITY COUNCIL,
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS AUTHORITY AND REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY
7:00 P. M., TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2008
GRASS VALLEY CITY HALL (LOWER LEVEL)
125 EAST MAIN STREET, GRASS VALLEY, CALIFORNIA
Telephone: (530) 274-4310 – Fax: (530) 274-4399
E-Mail: email@example.com Web Site: www.cityofgrassvalley.com
City Council and /or the Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency welcome you to its meetings, which are scheduled at 7 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. Your interest is encouraged and appreciated. This meeting is being broadcast “live” on Comcast Channel 17 and This meeting is being recorded by NCTV and is scheduled for rebroadcast on NCTV Channel 17. Please consult NCTV program listings as to the schedule at www.nevadacountytv.org This meeting is also recorded on audio tape. Council Chambers are wheelchair accessible and listening devices are available. Other special accommodations may be requested to the City Clerk 72 hours in advance of the meeting. Action may be taken on any agenda item. Please turn off all cell phones or similar devices. Agenda materials are available at City Hall, the Grass Valley Public Library or on the City’s web site by clicking on each item’s icon.
A. CALL TO ORDER: Next Resolution – #08-77
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Next Ordinance – # 700
B. AGENDA APPROVAL
The City Council reserves the right to hear items in a different order in order to accomplish business in the most efficient manner.
C. INTRODUCTIONS AND PRESENTATIONS (Limited to 15 minutes)
1. National Business Women’s Week October 20th – 24th Proclamation RECOMMENDATION: Presentation of Proclamation
2. National Domestic Violence Awareness Month Proclamation
RECOMMENDATION: Presentation of Proclamation
D. PUBLIC COMMENT – There is a time limitation of three minutes per person. For any items that are not on the agenda and within the jurisdiction or interest of the City, please come to the podium at this time. If you wish to speak regarding a scheduled agenda item, please come to the podium when the item number and subject matter are announced. When recognized, please begin by providing your name and address for the record (optional). Anyone wishing to submit written information at the meeting needs to furnish ten (10) copies to the City Clerk in advance to allow for distribution to City Council, staff and the media.
E. BRIEF REPORTS BY COUNCIL MEMBERS
F. CONSENT ITEMS – All matters listed under the Consent Calendar are to be considered routine by the City Council and/or Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency (Agency) and will be enacted by one motion in the form listed. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless, before the City Council and/or Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency votes on the motion to adopt, members of the Council and/or Agency, staff or the public request specific items to be removed from the Consent Calendar for separate discussion and action (roll call vote).
3. Warrant Registers
RECOMMENDATION: Approve warrant disbursements in the amount of $1,270,271.04 for the period September 13, 2008 through October 3, 2008.
4. Investments Reports for June and July 2008
RECOMMENDATION: Approve Monthly Statements of Investments for June and July 2008
5. Request for Proposals seeking an actuarial review of the City’s employment benefits obligation for retired employees.
RECOMENDATION: By motion, authorize the Director of Finance to advertise Request for Proposals (RFP) for use in seeking proposals from qualified firms to provide for the City of Grass Valley’s actuarial review of post-employment benefits for retired employees. The review will allow implementation of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB 43 & 45) rules regarding accounting for Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB).
6. Conflict of Interest Code Update
RECOMMENDATION: Approve Resolution No. 08-78 authorizing execution of the 2008 Local Agency Biennial Notice showing no amendment is required of the City of Grass Valley’s Conflict of Interest Code and authorize the City Administrator to sign the City of Grass Valley Biennial Notice of Review of the City’s Conflict of Interest Code.
7. Unsecured Tax on Condon Park Caretaker Residence
RECOMMENDATION: That Council authorize the Mayor to sign a letter notifying E. Christina Dabis, Nevada County Tax Collector, that the contract with Anthony J. Klick has been terminated, and the caretaker residence in Condon Park will no longer be utilized as a residence.
8. Regional Transportation Mitigation Fee Agreement
RECOMMENDATION: That Council approve the attached Regional Transportation Mitigation Fee Agreement, and authorize the Mayor to execute Professional Services Agreements subject to legal review.
9. Request for Allocation of Regional Transportation Mitigation Fee (RTMF) Revenues for the East Main/Idaho-Maryland Road Intersection Improvement Project.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council adopt the attached Resolution No. 08-77 requesting that the Nevada County Transportation Commission (NCTC) allocate $1,823,000 in Regional Transportation Mitigation Fee (RTMF) revenues for the East Main/Idaho-Maryland Road Intersection Improvements (EMIM) Project.
10. Award of the Public Works Industrial Uniform Cleaning Purchase Order
RECOMMENDATION: That Council authorize the Public Works Director/City Engineer to award/execute an open market purchase order with AmeriPride Uniform Services to provide uniform rental and laundry services for Public Works staff assigned to the various field operations divisions.
11. East Main Street – Street Overlay Purchase Order
RECOMMENDATION: Informational update for Council relating to a purchase order with Hansen Brothers Enterprises to allow street resurfacing improvements to East Main Street in the amount of $24,887.
12. 2008 Street Overlay – Change Order Approval
RECOMMENDATION: That Council authorize the Mayor to sign a Construction Contract Change Order in the amount $60,000.
13. Authorize travel for City Council to attend joint City-County quarterly meetings and to host such meetings.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve travel for City Council Members to attend joint City – County quarterly meetings and to host such meetings.
14. Declaration of Surplus of Police Department Motorcycle Totaled in Vehicle Accident and Purchase of Replacement Motorcycle and Equipment
RECOMMENDATION: Approve Declaration of Surplus of Police Department Motorcycle Totaled in Vehicle Accident and Authorize Budget Transfer for Purchase of Replacement Motorcycle and Equipment.
15. Agreements to Approve Loan for Springhill Garden Apartments between Redevelopment Agency and Springhill Garden Associates LLC
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize, via motion, the Chairman to sign the attached Loan Agreement, Regulatory Agreement and Notice of Affordability Restrictions between the City of Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency and the borrower, Springhill Garden Apartments LLC subject to the final approval by the City Attorney.
G. ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT CALENDAR FOR DISCUSSION OR SEPARATE ACTION AND / OR ANY ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
16. Appointment of Ms. Lauren Mary Lund to the City of Grass Valley Personnel Commission to fulfill the remainder of the vacated Commission position formerly occupied by Joan Zeigler. The term of this position ends 01/01/10.
RECOMMENDATION: Appoint Ms. Lund to vacated Personnel Commission post. (voice vote)
17. Report on League of California Cities Annual Conference
RECOMMENDATION: Informational report only
18. City Council Meeting Schedule for November and December 2008
RECOMMENDATION: Set alternative date for first November Council meeting and confirm meeting schedule of only conducting only one Council meeting in December. (voice vote)
19. Report and Update on Request for Mobile Home Park Rent Control Ordinance
RECOMMENDATION: It is recommended that Council receive the update from City Staff on a request for the Council to consider rent control for mobile home parks within the City, take public comment and provide appropriate direction to staff. (voice vote)
I. STAFF REPORTS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
20. Agreement between The Center for the Arts and the City of Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the agreement between The Center for the Arts and the City of Grass Valley Redevelopment Agency providing funding for facility improvements and planning. (voice vote) (Action item for Agency)
21. Resolution No. 08-79 adopting the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resolution No. 08-79 adopting the National Incident Management System (NIMS). (voice vote)
22. Policy to Set Public Outreach Approach for Significant Projects
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the attached policy. (voice vote)
[This message has been edited by Kristi (edited 10-14-2008).]